My interests and experience are in database systems and applications, in particular, data management in the cloud (transaction processing and key-value stores) and database usability (making it easier to use and do analytics on databases). I also have research experience in mobile computing, information extraction, and database on novel hardware.
I work at Google as a software engineer on system infrasturcture, focusing on large scale and high performance data management. Before moving to Google in Dec 2013, I was a data management researcher at NEC Laboratories America in Silicon Valley. I received Ph.D. in Spring 2011 in Computer Science and Engineering from University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, where I worked with Prof. H.V. Jagadish. Previously, after a brief detour at Tsinghua University, I went to HKUST (BEng in CE and MPhil in CS, with minor in Math).
- Program Committee: VLDB'2014 (Research Track), EDBT'2014 (Industrial Track), CIKM'2013 (Database Track), EDBT'2013, WISE (2013, 2012), VLDB 2011 (Research Track).
- Journal Reviewer: Review board of PVLDB (2009, 2010), TKDE (2011, 2012), DKE (2012).
- Bin Liu, Junichi Tatemura, Oliver Po, Wang-Pin Hsiung, Hakan Hacigumus. Automatic Entity-Grouping for OLTP Workloads. IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Chicago, USA, 2014 (To appear).
- Bin Liu, Wang-Pin Hsiung, Junichi Tatemura, Hakan Hacigumus. SAGE: A Logical and Physical Design Tool for Entity-Group Based New SQL Systems (System Demo). IEEE International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), Chicago, USA, 2014 (To appear).
- Bin Liu, Junichi Tatemura, Hakan Hacigumus. Towards Principled Design Support for Scalable OLTP Workloads. EDBT (Industrial Paper), Berlin, Germany, 2012.
- Chieh-Feng Chiang, Laura Chiticariu, Vivian Chu, Sajib Dasgupta,Thilo Goetz, Howard Ho, Rajasekar Krishnamurthy, Alexander Lang, Yunyao Li, Bin Liu, Sriram Raghavan, Frederick Reiss, Shivakumar Vaithyanathan, Huaiyu Zhu. The SystemT IDE: An Integrated Development Environment for Information Extraction Rules (PDF). ACM SIGMOD (Demo), Athens, Greece, 2011.
- Bin Liu, Direct Manipulation Querying of Database Systems, Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Michigan, 2011.
- Bin Liu, Laura Chiticariu, Vivian Chu, H. V. Jagadish, and Frederick R. Reiss. Automatic Rule Refinement for Information Extraction (PDF). VLDB, Singapore, 2010. (US Patent 8,417,709 based on work in this paper)
- Bin Liu, Laura Chiticariu, Vivian Chu, H. V. Jagadish, and Frederick R. Reiss. Refining Information Extraction Rules Using Data Provenance (PDF) IEEE Data Engineering Bulletin, 2010.
- Bin Liu, H. V. Jagadish. Using Trees to Depict a Forest (PDF). VLDB, Lyon, France, 2009.
- Bin Liu, H. V. Jagadish. DataLens: Making a Good First Impression (PDF). ACM SIGMOD (Demo), Providence, RI, 2009.
- Bin Liu, H. V. Jagadish. A Spreadsheet Algebra for a Direct Data Manipulation Query Interface (PDF). Full research paper in IEEE ICDE, Shanghai, China, 2009.
- Shurug Al-Khalifa, Bin Liu, and H. V. Jagadish. Evaluating Universal Quantification in XML. (PDF). IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering (TKDE), Nov. 2007.
- Magesh Jayapandian, Adriane Chapman, V. Glenn Tarcea, Cong Yu, Aaron Elkiss, Angela Ianni, Bin Liu, Arnab Nandi, Carlos Santos, Philip Andrews, Brian Athey, David States and H. V. Jagadish. Michigan Molecular Interactions (MiMI): Putting the Jigsaw Puzzle Together (PDF). Nucleic Acids Research 35 (NAR, Database Issue), D566-71, Nov, 2007.
- Bin Liu, Multi-dimensional Queries in Distributed Systems, Master of Philosophy Dissertation, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, 2005.
- Bin Liu, Wang-Chien Lee, Dik Lun Lee. Supporting Complex Multi-Dimensional Queries in P2P Systems (PDF). IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing (ICDCS), 2005.
- Bin Liu, Wang-Chien Lee, Dik Lun Lee. Distributed caching of multi-dimensional data in mobile environments (PDF). ACM Mobile Data Management (MDM), short paper, 2005.
- Yufei Tao, Christos Faloutsos, Dimitris. Papadias, Bin Liu. Prediction and Indexing of Moving Objects with Unknown Motion Patterns (PDF). ACM SIGMOD, 2004.
- Jimeng Sun, Dimitris Papadias, Yufei Tao, Bin Liu. Querying about the Past, the Present, and the Future in Spatio-Temporal Databases (PDF). IEEE ICDE, 2004.